Saturday 7 March 2015

Battle for the preserving jars

Yesterday, on my blog, I talked about the abundance of peaches that are currently raining down from the peach tree outside.

I mentioned that I was already preserving quinces, and implied that this was the sole reason that I couldn't therefore preserve the peaches also.

I now feel that I must come clean about this. It is in many ways true, but it also one of those truths that hide a lie behind them. A not-the-whole-truth truth, if you will.

You see, I do have the capacity and the will to preserve many jars of quince and peach. I do have the bottles to put up many more than I do. I just don't have the will to move the bottles I need into the kitchen.

They've been sitting out in the garage - unused - for many years now. They're a legacy from my mother who used to bottle copious amounts of peaches, apricots, and multiple varieties of jams every year.

Even though they're older than me, they're still in great condition. The metal lids that hold the seals in place are a bit battered, and some of the pale green has worn off over the years, but there's still a lot of life left in them.

Especially since it seems that most of them will never be used again.

Here's the problem:

And believe me, that's to size.

While the spider occupies the same territory as my preserving jars, I never preserve any more than can fill the bottles already safely inside the house.

I can't purchase any new ones, because the ones I have are perfectly fit for use.

I can't use the ones I have, because the spider has claimed them for herself.

A quandary that I may never find my way out of, and the reason why I'm now attempting to eat a year's supply of fresh peaches rather than stewing them for the middle of winter when I'll be desperate for something sweet and tasty and raised in my own garden.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment