Thursday 20 August 2015

Exercising

Prior to embarking on my career break I purchased a treadmill. This was to ensure that I didn't blow up to the size of a house while I was on a break.

I did also plan to wear it in during the months between purchase and said break, but there were other things going on which forbade it. Rest and couches and things that I don't need to go into here.

The plan was to set up a kind of table over the unit, and put my laptop upon it, and thereby walk and type at the same time.

This plan turned out to be stupid.

For one thing, I don't have a table that's anywhere near treadmill-going-over shape, and for another thing it's hard enough to type on a laptop when I'm sitting on the couch. Attempting to do it while I'm rhythmically moving is just asking for trouble. And typos.

So with this plan abandoned I had to think of another thing which would keep me occupied while I treaded away my waking hours. Or hour. Lets call it a half-hour and be done with it.

I've tried exercising in front of the TV before, and while there are aspects to it that are quite appealing, I've always tended to notice too much that I'm exercising to really have it as a method of distraction.

I could listen to music, or podcasts. It helps when I'm out pounding the pavements, so why not in the front room?

Turns out that's only a distraction when I'm forced to walk somewhere by dint of not having another method of travel. If I try it when I can just as easily jump down from the treadmill... well. I'll leave that to you to figure out.

Finally I hit upon a solution that both I and the treadmill could live with.

Playstation.

My old PS3 is in the front room anyway, and is barely used anymore due to the PS4 being in the room we actually use for living in and stuff. What a great chance to finally finish up some of those old games while working up a sweat on the treadmill. I was quite excited.

I should probably interject somewhere around here and mention that although I enjoy console games greatly, they don't enjoy me. They especially don't enjoy me when I die for the trillionth time in a row WHEN I'M ONLY PLAYING FOR THE STORYLINE and I can't get any further.

It turns out that taking something you're already fairly bad at, and combining it with rhythmic walking doesn't actually go that well. Especially when you're the type of someone who doesn't really get the point of melee games, and then loads up Devil May Cry to see what it's all about.

There was hellfire. There was death. There was destruction. And that was just the treadmill.

I may have to think up a new plan, but not to worry. I'm sure the treadmill doesn't need to be used every day to be just as good value for money as it was when I bought it.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I have seen this type of deal on Facebook where someone posts walking on a treadmill and working on their laptop. As someone who can hardly chew gum and walk at the same time, I knew this wouldn't work for me.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete